Retention is the final part of your orthodontic treatment. When your braces are removed it is natural for your teeth to try to shift slightly. You are instructed to wear retainers to help prevent this shifting. These retainers hold your teeth in place. If the instructions for your retainers are not followed, your teeth will move. Your teeth may feel sore for the first few days. Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be taken to relieve discomfort. Your final orthodontic result depends on your retainers so follow through with the hard work that you put in so far.
Retainer Wear and Care
Wear your retainer full time 24/7 taking it out to eat and brush only. This means you will also sleep in your retainer at night. When your retainer is not in your mouth keep it in your retainer case at all times!
- Use your toothbrush and water to clean your retainer.
- Retainerscan be damaged by soaking then in mouthwash, alcohol or denture cleaner.
- Retainers can be ruined by heat. Never put a retainer in boiling water, a dishwasher or on the dashboard of a car.
- Keep retainers beyond the reaach of pets and young children. Dogs and cats like to chew on retainers.
- Retainers can be broken if placed in a pocket or backpack.
- Retainers are likely to be thrown in the trash if they are wrapped in a tissue or napkin or placed on a food tray.
- If your retainer is loose, broken or feels different, promptly call our office during business hours. Never try to adjust a retainer. There is a charge to replace retainers... So please be careful!
Lingual Wire/Permanent Retainer
- Your retainer is bonded to each tooth separately (or secured only to your cuspids). If it feels loose with your tounge or if you see a tooth get out of line, call us for an appointment.
- You can brush your teeth and gums as usual, but flossing has to be done more carefully. Use a floss threader to thread your floss from the front and under the retainer wire.
- Please remind your dentist and hygienist to be careful of your retainer.
- DO NOT eat foods and candy which are hard, sticky or chewy. Therse foods could loosen the lingual wire.
Hawley Retainer OR Essix Invisible Retainer
Wearing Instructions - (Unless otherwise instructed by Dr. Coles)
- First 4 months wear 24 hours per day and night except when eating, brushing and playing sports.
- After 4 months wear retainer through the night while sleeping.